After completing two practicums and working as a teacher’s aide at another school it has become evident to me that most learning environments for students consist of four walls and rows of desks and seats. As teachers we get frustrated as students have no motivation, don’t want to learn and in protest to this by misbehaving. I have now begun to consider that if students were provided with a learning space with positive stimulation and an engaging environment how this would be reflected in their work and behaviour.
As I still study, I know that I cannot work in an untidy environment and need differentiation in learning materials to maintain concentration. I try to remember this when designing lessons for students and differ the next lesson from the last by using student’s laptops, working outside, creating group activities and having students move around the classroom to share ideas with other members of the class.
With my specialisation being in the TAS department, Textiles and Food Technology it is important to consider the OH&S issues that go hand in hand with the learning spaces provided. In practical rooms especially it would be unpractical to have desk with wheels on the bottom but having a separate section within the room that allows for a stimulating, interactive learning space I believe students would greatly benefit.
Hi Jess,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you regarding your thoughts on the 'actual' learning environment and the 'ideal' learning environment for students. I also agree strongly with your ideas about adapting the way you design your lessons in order to cater for the different ways students learn. Your KLA is quite different to mine (English), however, as I also have experience being a teachers' aide I see how effective TAS teachers can be at managing a class where students are often out of their seat and at different stages (eg. sewing).
As a teacher of English I would like to be able to move away from the top down teaching of content and not be frightened to allow students to work effectively in small groups, outside of the classroom, individually, as well as using ICT. I think in time this will all come with experience...
Hi Jess,
ReplyDeleteI am new to the Education course so have not completed any practicums. It is a little off putting to hear that in both of your experiences, the learning spaces were pretty lifeless. If only more schools could provide an environment similar to that of Northern Beaches Christian School!
I think you made a really good point about your own learning space with your study. I am exactly the same and cannot work in an untidy/uncomfortable environment. I don't have a comfortable desk at the moment in the place that I am living. This makes it that much harder to my work and makes it difficult to even get motivated to do my work!
I made a comment in my blog saying that I can remember the layout of the classrooms at my high school. This was similar to what you described in your first paragraph. It is a shame there are still schools with learning areas like this. I think it is great that we as future teachers are studying the importance of and the ways to create 21st century learning spaces, as it seems like such an important yet sometimes overlooked factor to successful learning.
Hi Jess
ReplyDeleteGreat posting and a really poignant commentary on the physical environment we teach in and expect student to work and learn in everyday.
I see so many classrooms with very poor lighting, visual stimulation and even ventilation a dn I can’t help but wonder if this is the best we can do?
Modern classrooms are a reflection of ancient military planning where and environment of conformity, standardization, and effective chains of command were priorities in military education. Not exactly what we expect in a modern learning environment!
I think simple things like bright pictures, as much natural light as possible, and good airflow are all things we can do as teachers to enhance our learning environments. I also think things like music, physical class setup and even colour are aspects of education that are worth further consideration.
One of the sad aspects of these factors is that as new service teachers we will probably be expected to ‘tow the line’ and follow the examples of our peers so things remain the same as they have always been.
I hope I have the opportunity to try some of these things out for myself even if they don’t work. Stop trying and accept the status-quo and we might as well teach by numbers!
Hi Bree, Emily and Shaun,
ReplyDeleteLet’s hope that we can be some of these teachers that turn these non motivational classrooms into somewhere students are a little more happy to be and also we as teacher find the environment a bit more inviting :)