Sunday, 3 July 2011

New Media and ICTs

I found this week’s topic very interesting and eye opening. The reading: Michael Zimmer’s Tools for the 21st Century Teacher was very interesting and great to know how some of these things we know about can be practically used for education purposes.

I think with all ICT used needs to be the strong emphasis made on privacy and cyber bullying. I believe that it is essential as a teacher to provide the information supporting this to the students and set strict guidelines and rules to prevent any misfortune. ‘Protecting Reputations in Plain English’ from the digital citizenship website  videos section, would be a great starting point in introducing and preventing some issues that may arise.

I am very supportive of the technological advances that are taking place in teaching, allowing students to use familiar communication mediums such as Facebook and twitter has many notable advantages but I also feel we need to embrace traditional communication methods and ways of sharing ideas. I believe that it is essential for students to have the ability, skills and confidence to be able to verbally share ideas, some of this confidence comes from the classroom environment created firstly by the teacher and secondly buy students. I hope to be able to teach using a variety of mediums including differing ICT resources and materials but will also not remove the basics of communication from my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment